Scholar Athlete of the Week Rules
Who Can Enter
To be eligible to participate in this contest, Scholar Athletes of the Week must:
- Reside in the WABM MY68 viewing area.
- Be a currently enrolled as a senior at one of the High Schools (as defined below), AND
- Be an active member in one or more of the High School’s athletic programs or teams (i.e., football, soccer, cheer leading). Participating High Schools: Hoover, Brewbaker Tech, Sylacauga, Talladega, Mountain Brook, Spain Park, Thompson, Pelham, Vestavia, Shades Valley, and Gadsden City.
- Employees of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., WTTO, Inc., and any other company which owns, programs or provides other services to television broadcast station WABM (the “Station”) WTTO, High Schools, Alex Shunnarah Personal Injury Lawyer (the “Sponsor”), their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any and all local television broadcast and cable stations, local radio and other media companies, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term “immediate families” includes spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children and grandchildren.
How to Enter
(a) No purchase is necessary to enter.
(b) Each of the High Schools’ athletic directors and/or principals will select one
- High School senior athlete (either male or female) to be the Scholar Athlete of the Week for the High School. The High Schools’ Scholars of the Week must be received by the Station by close of business 3 days prior to the student’s featured game. Scholar Athletes of the Week must sign appearance releases, which must be received by the Station by close of business 3 days prior to the student’s featured game.
(c) Each week from January 5, 2012 to February 6, 2012, two of the High Schools will participate in the “Thursday Night Nets” high school basketball game which airs on the Station (WABM MY68) at 7:00 p.m. CST. The Scholar Athletes of the Week from each of the High Schools playing that week will be featured as the Scholar Athletes of the Week for their respective school, and will appear in an on-air promotion which will air on WABM throughout the week.
(d) Each Scholar Athlete of the Week will be entered to win the Scholar Athlete of
the Year Scholarship (the “Scholarship”). To qualify to win the Scholarship, each Scholar Athlete of the Week must submit a two minute (2:00) video ( DVD format only) produced solely by the Scholar Athlete of the Week outlining the following four topics:
- Grade Point Average/Academic standing,
- Athletic Achievement,
- Community Activities, and
- Why they deserve the Scholarship.
If any Scholar Athlete of the Week does not complete and submit the video portion of the entry to the Station by February 9, 2012, then the Scholar Athlete of the Week will be disqualified. DVD entries shall be mailed to WABM, c/o Karen Swann 651 Beacon Parkway West Suite 105 Birmingham AL 35209. Station is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected mail/entries or for printing errors. Videos submitted via email will not be accepted. Only DVDs submitted to the television station will be considered.
(e) By entering, Scholars of the Week i) represent and warrant that the video submitted is their own original work and does not violate the rights of any third parties,
- Agree that the Station has the right to use nominee’s appearance, likeness and voice,
- Agree that the Station may use the DVD submission in any and all media, and iv agree that the Station may edit or crop the DVD submission without nominee’s advance permission.
(f) All DVD entries will be judged by a panel of three (3) judges comprised of representatives from the Station and Sponsor based on the following criterion:
- Academic achievement (25%);
- Athletic achievement (25%);
- Need of scholarship (25%); and iv) community activities (25%).
In the event of a tie, a random selection of the will decide the winner. The decisions of the judges shall be final. The Station, Sponsor and judges reserve the right in their sole and absolute discretion to disqualify any entry. All decisions of the Station, Sponsor, and judges relating to the judging of this contest or the compliance and/or interpretation of these rules are final.
(g) On or about February 23, 2012, one (1) Scholar Athlete of the Year will be selected from among the Scholar Athletes of the Week based on the judging criterion set forth in paragraph (f) above. The Scholar Athlete of the Year will be notified by February 24, 2012, and will be required to appear in an on-air promotion to be produced by WABM MY68.
(e) All entries received that are mutilated, tampered with, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries (including videos) become the property of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc. and the Station and will not be acknowledged or returned.
(a). Each of the ten (10) Scholar Athletes of the Week will receive a plaque valued at $25.00 and will be featured in an on-air promotion which will air on WABM. The value of the on-air promotion cannot be determined. One (1) 2012 Scholar Athlete of the Year will receive a plaque, and a three-thousand dollar ($3,000) scholarship to the college or university he/she plans to attend. The check for the scholarship will be made payable to the school of choice of the winner.
(b). Winners will be notified by phone. Winners must sign and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must be received within five (5) days of notification. If a winner is a minor, then the winner’s parents or guardian must sign a release and affidavit of eligibility before the winner receives his or her prize. Winners must show picture identification to claim prizes. Station reserves the right to examine additional identification and may choose to accept or deny awarding the prize based on the identification presented.
(c). If a winner cannot be notified within five (5) days or does not timely return the affidavit of eligibility, the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner as determined by the judges, and in the Station’s sole and absolute discretion.
(d). There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for prizes. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No transfer or assignment of prizes is allowed.
(e). The winners are responsible for paying all local, county, state and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules.
(f). Contestants are eligible to win only one prize within any one-hundred and eighty (180) day period, regardless of the number of contests entered.
(g). WTTO, Inc., Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. are not liable if the provider of any part of the prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
(h). WTTO, Inc., Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. are not responsible for any liabilities arising directly or indirectly from the award or use of the prize.
(i). In claiming your prize, you acknowledge that WTTO, Inc., Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. and Sinclair Television Group, Inc. have the right to publicize your name, character, likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that you are the winner for promotional purposes without financial remuneration.
Odds of Winning/Miscellaneous
(a). Complete contest rules are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours at WTTO/WABM, 651 Beacon Parkway West Suite 105, Birmingham, AL 35209 and on the Station’s websites at www.wabm68.com.
(b). Station reserves the right in their sole and absolute discretion to disqualify any entry.
(c). For a list of prize winners, send a separate, self-addressed, stamped envelope to WABM MY68, c/o “Prize Winners-Scholar Athlete” 651 Beacon Parkway West Suite 105 by February 29, 2012. Names of minors will not be fully disclosed.
(d). This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., Sinclair Television Group, Inc., WTTO, Inc., High Schools, and Alex Shunnarah Personal Injury Lawyer accepts no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded hereunder.
(e). Station cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest
(f). Station reserves the right to make rules and contest changes and change the aforementioned contest dates.